The 126 GeV Higgs Candidate vs. BSM



This is a note about the travel  and a few other logistical arrangements. You may make your own arrangements, but if you wish assistance or wish us to arrange for the ticket purchase please let us know. Also please let us know of your plans as soon as you have made them so that we can reserve hotel rooms. The department travel coordinator is Connie Sugatan, and her email is .

Note that you will need to bring your own laptop if you wish to have regular access to computing services.

Information about travel to the University of Washington Particle Physics Group may be found at

For those of you who are being reimbursed for your expenses, please note:

·         Receipts are required for items over $75. See for other receipt guidelines.

·         Only Economy fare air tickets may be reimbursed. Under most circumstances you must use a US carrier or code share, however the Open Skies agreement allows for some non US carrier travel between the US and the EU, and Switzerland . See for more information. Before purchasing any non US carrier ticket you should check with Connie Sugatan.

·    Only travel to and from the University of Washington can be reimbursed.

·    The site gives information about required documents for reimbursement of foreign nationals who are not US permanent residents.   Those of you who are not US citizens or residents will need to be sure we get copies before you leave of your passport, the port of entry stamp, and, if you are a Canadian citizen, we will need a copy of your I-94 form.

Those of you who are not US residents or citizens will need to check on the requirements for a visa for US entry. For visa information please see  Many of you will be eligible for the Visa Waiver Program ("VWP"). However foreign travelers to the U.S. intending to use the VWP will be unable to enter the U.S. unless they have been  pre-authorized  by the new online "Electronic System for Travel Authorization" (ESTA). (

Travelers may log into ESTA as far in advance of their travel as possible but it is recommended

no less than 72 hours before departure. The ESTA application asks for biographic, passport and

other personal data, information about their proposed travel and stay in the U.S., and answers to

questions similar to those on the I-94 document every visitor to the U.S. must complete prior to

arrival. On submission, an ESTA tracking number is assigned. Travelers must log into the

system to see the status of their case.  In most cases authorization to travel is issued almost

immediately. In some cases, authorization might take two or three days. A very small

percentage of cases might be denied, based on patterns of answers, personal circumstances,

or for random quality control measures.

An ESTA authorization for travel to the U.S. will generally be valid for 2 years or until the

applicant's passport expires, whichever comes first. However note that reauthorization is

required if the traveler (1) changes his or her name; (2) changes his or her gender; (3) changes

country of citizenship; or (4) should change any other answer to ESTA questions. If the ESTA

application is denied, a visa application must be made at an appropriate U.S. Consulate before

departure. In such instances the usual visa application process applies, which sometimes can

be lengthy, and generally takes at least several days.

If you are not VWP eligible and will need an official invitation letter in order to apply for a  visa as

a workshop speaker please let us know ASAP.

Looking forward to seeing you in January

Those of you who have not yet let us know if you are attending: if you are not coming and don't want to get any more notices about the workshop then please let us know so I can remove your name from the mailing list.

Ann Nelson, Tuhin Roy, Anna Goussiou

Bulletin #1 : Travel Bulletin: